Ok there are a lot of caveats to this.
First of all there's a hack involved. A Box of Cake Mix, that clocks in at 1600 calories total. The box says 1/10th of it is 160 calories, but if you are making cupcakes like I did, it means that you are getting 18 of them. Math puts that at a hair below 89 calories.
Now really you do want icing on that but that hack?
A Box of Cake Mix plus a can of Diet Soda gives you 18 "Right Sized" Cupcakes.
I was dubious, but it really tasted pretty good. Yellow Cake mix, right off the shelf, and a can of Diet Ginger Ale. When it baked, it didn't taste weird, or even taste like Ginger Ale. They tasted like a Yellow Cake. Different sodas and different cake mixes will taste different - Go Wild! Be Creative!
But Bill, I hear you ask, what about the Icing?
I found a Five Ingredient "Simple Chocolate Icing" all over the place. Now it's here. I am using the icing at a "regular" rate. Not a huge amount on top, I'll leave that to you. I will do the math for 1/18th of the ingredients below once I piece it together.
Add Icing, 134 Calories. Yes, do add the icing, it's a really good recipe, trust me.
Total is 223 calories, give or take.
- Box Cake Mix. I used "Duncan Hines" Yellow Cake Mix.
- 1 Can Soda. 12 Ounces. Pick your favorite flavor. Diet, if you use regular it will increase the calorie count by 10 calories per cupcake. Your choice.
- Mix the two together in a right-sized mixing bowl.
- Stir them together until smooth.
- Bake at 350F/180C for 18 minutes, give or take.
- Test the cakes with a toothpick so that it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
Chocolate Icing (YAY!)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, butter, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix using an electric mixer until blended and creamy.
Post a Comment