So this is a way to use them if you really want something sweet and gently tart. Unfortunately for me though, I still have seven of the things left - the recipe only used One Grapefruit where it would be between 1.5 to 3 Lemons.
Yes, this is a variation on making Lemon Curd. Lemon Curd is basically the filling to a Lemon Meringue Pie, with some tweaks here and there. The recipe can be made with any Citrus that you have on hand, but frankly my favorite is with Grapefruit.
A wrinkle with this recipe is that you want to zest the fruit and cook the recipe with it, but probably would be best to remove the zest before the final cooking. How I would achieve this is cook it until everything is blended and the butter is melted, then run the mix through a strainer. After it is strained, continue cooking the ingredients to the magic temperature of 185F or 85C.
From ingredients to table took about 15 minutes since my butter was frozen.
Ingredients for this are 1/2 of my original recipe but I will repeat them here, adjusted for size.
- 1 Grapefruit, Zested and Juiced (About a quarter cup juice)
- 3/4 cup (170g) granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (2 Ounces, 60g) - Room Temperature and cut into small pieces
- To a microwave safe bowl, add all your ingredients.
- Stir the ingredients until smooth or run them through a blender.
- Place Microwave Safe bowl in microwave and cook on High for 30 seconds.
- Stir ingredients thoroughly to prevent hot spots.
- Repeat the microwave and stir cycle until the temperature at least reaches 185F (85C).
- The Grapefruit Curd will begin to noticeably thicken when you reach temperature.
- Again, Do not allow to boil but make sure you hit that magic temperature of 185F/85C.
- Pour the finished product into jars and refrigerate or run through strainer to capture any lemon zest or egg that might cause lumps.