Butter Pecan Ice Cream. It was my first "Grown Up" flavor favorite. I've always had a soft spot for a good Butter Pecan. Not overly sweet. Not bland. Basically, Yes, Yes, I shall have some! Please?
This is a dangerous recipe. It may not need an ice cream freezer, although I used one. The way I made the ice cream is to make whipped cream, stop the mixer, then fold in the ingredients, mix it a couple turns around the bowl. Freeze. I do strongly recommend a stand mixer with a whisk to make the whipped cream and the ice cream base.
Yeah. Dangerous. It is THAT good and THAT easy.
You're in trouble.
I was baking. Specifically I was making some Explosively Good Caramel in the crock pot one day and the label fell off the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk can. I looked at the back of the label and it had a recipe for my favorite. I looked at it, passed it around the house, and got the ingredients. The recipe went onto the fridge with a magnet and would sit there for more than a year while I muddled how tough it would be to make Toasted Pecans.
Hey, Dummy! It wasn't that hard! Go make the damn treat!
Get a non stick skillet. Heat it to medium. Number 5 on the electric stove, right in the middle of the heat.
When warm, dump the Pecans onto the skillet. No oil, no additives at all.
Stir occasionally so they don't scorch.
When the pecan bits began to bubble a little oil out onto the surface, and some of the nuts had began to change color, pour off into a glass or metal bowl. The glass or metal will draw out the heat and let them cool quickly.
So you wanna make some ice cream? This is truly, hands down, the Absolute Best Butter Pecan Ice Cream I have EVER had.
Yum. (Shhh, calm down Beavis!)
- 2 cups Heavy Cream (Should be as cold as you can get it and have it still liquid)
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (Should be cold)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Toasted Pecans
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter (Room Temperature so you don't shock the cream)
- 1 teaspoon Maple Extract (We omitted this)
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks in stand mixer.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, toasted pecans, butter, and Maple Extract in large bowl.
- Mix Well.
- Fold in Whipped Cream.
- Pour into 2 quart container and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
To toast nuts:
- Place Nuts in Dry Non Stick Skillet heated to Medium.
- Shake the nuts occasionally until lightly brown.
- To avoid overheating remove the nuts to a cooling bowl or plate when done.