After you spill your taco seasoning on the stove, and stop swearing and cleaning the mess, what do you do?
You look at the box that all this came in and wonder why you bought the kit in the first place.
The kit contained:
- 4 Soft Shell Tortillas.
- Cheese Sauce
So we did.
What you need to Roll Your Own Taco Pie is the following:
- The Taco Seasoning Recipe from yesterday.
- 1 Cup Water.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef, Chicken, Pork, Turkey, or Meat Substitute like Tofu or "crumbles".
- 4 9 Inch Soft Shell Tortillas.
- 8 ounces of Sharp Cheese - A Mexican Cheese Mix or Nacho Cheese Sauce from the store will do nicely, although we used a mix of Cheddar and other oddball cheese we had around the house.
I'm going to give you the instructions from the box:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown Ground Beef in a Skillet and Drain.
- Add in Water and Taco Seasoning.
- Heat all of the above in the skillet until boiling.
- Cook Uncovered for 3 to 4 minutes stirring frequently until the filling thickens.
- Place a Tortilla in the bottom of your ungreased pie pan.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling on top of the tortilla.
- Spread the filling evenly toward the edge
- Repeat Layers ending with Filling on the top.
- Add your cheese sauce or grated cheese over the top of the filling, spreading evenly to the edge.
- Bake Uncovered for 15 minutes or so until heated through and the cheese melts.
- Optionally top with Salsa or anything that you like.
- Refrigerate Leftovers.
Enjoy Leftovers. They were great the next day.
The benefits are that you managed to make something that had entirely too much salt in it and make it much more healthy as a result. Since I personally don't like having to drink that half gallon of water after eating their store bought recipe, I'll use my own next time.
Sure you saved a few bucks but that really isn't what this is all about. It's about making something you like and making it taste more to your own liking and therefore "Better!" in the end.
It's also not about "slamming" a product that I did enjoy in the past. Just knowing that you can do it yourself is a really nice way to have a meal. It's not that hard to do it yourself when you have someone here to help.